Your guide to a successful move.
Moving is just a simple matter of pack-and-go if you choose the right mover! Moving does require a great deal of co-ordination, but we are here to help and we hope you find these handy hints and checklist useful.
4 weeks before
- Complete a change of address form with the Post Office to re-direct your mail.
- Inform magazine, book, and music clubs of your new address.
- Notify water, gas, and electricity suppliers that you will be moving and let them know whether you will require the supply switching off or whether you will be providing meter readings.
- Arrange for utility connections at your new home.
- Notify schools, churches, and clubs of your impending move.
3 weeks before
- Make a handy list of contact names and phone numbers you will need when you move into your new home.
- Consider plants and pets on moving day. Talk to us because we are happy to advise you.
- Dispose of items you don’t need in your new home. Again, do talk to us, as we can help with the disposal of unwanted household items.
- Start to run down the contents of your freezer.
- Make a sketch plan of your new home to determine the placement of furnishings.
- Transfer insurance to cover the contents at your new home.
2 weeks before
- Dispose of flammables, such as petrol, matches, cleaning fluids, bleach, and aerosol cans.
- Discontinue regular services, such as newspaper delivery and window cleaning.
- If applicable, arrange to have the satellite dish moved to the new property.
- Inform friends and family of your new address.
1 weeks before
- Arrange to discontinue your telephone/internet service and establish a new service at your new home.
- Use up your frozen food supply or make arrangements to give it away.
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers and other garden equipment.
- Pack/empty your loft and/or sheds.
1 day before
- Defrost and thoroughly clean your fridge-freezer.
- Take down pictures, mirrors, curtains, and blinds.
- Disconnect your cooker, washing machine, and dishwasher. Talk to us as we can help with this.
- Arrange minders for children and pets.
On moving day
Relax and let us do all the work but remember to:
- Disconnect the light fittings.
- Make sure plants are drained of excess water.
- Make sure you personally take cash and jewellery with you to your new home.
- Take meter readings when you leave your property and also when you arrive at your new home.
- Label keys ready for the new owners and arrange where to collect the keys for your property.
- Pack a separate box containing snacks, kettle, tea, coffee, and milk, etc. to take in the car.
YOU MUST NOTIFY DVLA AND UPDATE
YOUR DRIVING LICENCE AND V5C LOGBOOK.
GOTO WWW.DVLA.GOC.UK FOR DETAILS